Anyone else suffer from too many ideas? Anyone else know that all ideas are not equally good?
How do you decide what to work on next?
I’ve outlined how I process this dilemma for me below. You may have different factors and reasons but here are mine and I hope you find them useful as you choose your next project.
I start by listing out all my projects with a working title, I ended up with six on my list. I added in the age categories for each project since I write for different levels. I care about the age category because by default this may mean a shorter or longer project. You may not have this specific issue or you may be interested in writing some magazine articles which could be similar reasoning.
- What am I most excited about?
- How much time do I reasonably have to work on projects?
- What is the target word count for each project?
- What stage is each story currently in (idea, drafting, revision)?
- Do I need anything extra to work on each project (research, interviews, training etc.)?
All together this makes a pros and cons list for me. Often I’ll tackle the fastest project or the one closest to completion first. This, admittedly, makes me feel accomplished and who doesn’t need more of that? So what about you? Have you figured out which project to tackle next? Nanowrimo is coming up and having a solid choice is the first step in your momentum for the month.