The last time I was in LUSH the handmade cosmetic’s store I saw that they now carry massage bars. They look like a bar of soap and when you put it in your hands the heat of your hands warms the bar enough to melt the shea/cocoa butter and you use it for massages.
I purchased one to try it out, its lavender scented with essential oils and its amazing! (pictured above, click here to buy) If you don’t like making your own I think the one they have at LUSH is great to buy, they have a lot more options too.
If you are adventurous and want to try to DIY your own its actually pretty simple. See below for the how to
Supplies (made 3 bars)
- 1 stick of Cocoa Butter
- 1 cup Shea Butter
- 1 TBS Other Oils that you use for moisturizing I used some coconut and jojoba
- Essential oils for fragrance, Pepperment is great for soothing I also recommend Lavender or Eucalyptus
- A soap mold or a small dish
- Beans dried (I used coffee beans this is optional)
- Melt butters in a bowl, you can use a double boiler method or throw it in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until melted.
- Add additional oils, I used a little bit of coconut and some jojoba, ones that I like to use to moisturize with. I made three bars and added about a table spoon of these.
- Add your fragrance, I recommend peppermint since its soothing on sore muscles. You could also use lavender or eucalyptus or whatever you like.
- Mix well.
- Take your soap molds and put in a layer of beans. The beans are for when you massage with the bar it provides some texture to work your muscles.
- Fill the molds with the warmed mixture and let set.
- To get it to harden quickly throw it in the freezer for a couple hours and they will be ready to use!
- Use for massages or an easy way to moisturize.