I have been decorating our new home over the past couple weeks and I am just starting to add in some plants. I really really wanted to do a corner of hanging pots so I decided to learn how to make a Macrame Plant Hanger. This was a fun and easy project, it reminded me of making best friend bracelets with all my sisters when we were little.
In the video I created a small hanger, but these can be made bigger by just adding more yarn and more knots. I hope you enjoy this tutorial, below I have listed out the materials and the steps to make the one that I created.
You will need:
- potted plant
- Make a braided loop. Cut three strings of yarn equal lengths I cut mine about 7 inches. You could use an actual metal ring too it would make it sturdier, or you could wrap the yarn around the metal ring to match it to the rest of the hanger.
- Next cut 4 pieces of string about 2 and a half feet each.
- Fold those in half and knot them onto the braided loop.
- Now separate the yarn into groups of two.
- Knot each group of two together a couple inches down from the top
- Now you will take the left string of each group and tie it to the closest string in the next group about an inch and a half down from the previous knot.
- The last group will be the two ends and this is going to join everything together to make like a net.
- I did just one more set of knots this way to create mine, and if you have a bigger pot you will need to add more( make sure you start out with a longer length of string if you will be adding extra)
- Now all that’s left is knotting the very end and it ends in like a tassel so make sure to cut that off evenly so it looks good.
- Add your plant and hang!
If you wanted to spice it up a little more you could use multiple colors or braid each of the lines so you have a thicker netting. There are tons of ways to change this up and make it more interesting. I think I will make one with wooden beads next!