I just bought my very first sewing machine(Yay!) and I have been looking for super easy projects to get me started with sewing. I had some left over fabric from an apron that I just made and thought I would try to make my own heating pad. My husband has back pain quite often so I thought this would be a good thing to make for him. This is probably the most basic thing you can make on a sewing machine because its like making a mini pillow. I am not 100% my method of doing it is completely correct, but I have just started to learn how sewing works. I think the final piece looks good and works so Id say I did an okay job!
What you need:
- Fabric- 2 pieces of 12 inch by 20 inch (you can make any size you want)
- Sewing Machine (You can also hand sew this too if you do not own a machine)
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Fabric Scissors
- Rice 4 cups (amount depends on size of heating pad)
- Start by cutting out your fabric. I ended up making mine even smaller because I ran out of rice!
- After the fabric is cut I ironed mine flat just to make sure there was not any creases or wrinkles that I did not want.
- With right sides together pin the fabric.
- Now you need to sew down each side but leave one end open, so you are able to stuff the rice in and flip the fabric. Clip the corners.
- Pull the fabric inside out so the right sides are on the outside.
- Fill with rice. It doesn’t have to be stuffed full either, I made mine with some room to spare so I could easily sew the final edge.
- Now you need to fold in the last edges in kind of like doing a hem, and pin together.
- It may be easier to hand sew the last edge but I used my sewing machine, its completely up to you.
- Now you are finished! All you have to do is warm it up in the microwave for a little over a minute and you should be good to go!