As cucumber season is coming to an end here in Michigan getting in one last taste of yumminess from my vines is a pleasing prospect. Here is a recipe that needs only a few cucumbers to make and is really easy. No canning is required and it will last for months in the refrigerator.
Deep into the winter months when snow is howling by my window I can open up a jar of the crispiest sweet pickles.
Step 1- Gather the Ingredients
- 5 1/2 cups cucumbers cut chunky
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Canning and Pickling salt; or kosher salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion; I used one onion
- 1 cup granulated sugar; I use cane sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Step 2- Clean and cut up the cucumbers sprinkle with the salt, add some ice cubes and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
Step 3- Mix up the syrup
Mix all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan on low heat and stir until sugars are dissolved.
Step 4- Remove pickles from refrigerator. Wash off all salt with cold water. Mix a thinly sliced onion into the cucumbers and pack into jars.
Step 5- Pour syrup over cucumbers, seal and refrigerate.
Completely cover the cucumbers with the syrup by pressing them down in the jar.
After 24 hours these tasty morsels are ready to eat! As long as refrigerator pickle recipes contain vinegar and salt they will safely last 2 months in refrigeration. Adding sugar prolongs that date.